View Single Post
Old November 17 2012, 04:29 AM   #29
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Grace Kelly: Babe of the week #47 (Nov. 2012)

^Absolutely! Perfect vid for Aragorn to use: "Put The Blame On Mame"!

Janet Leigh--Marilyn--Joan Bennett--Ingrid Bergman--Veronica Lake--Lana Turner...Brigite Bardot....

Hugo Rune wrote: View Post
The most beautiful woman to ever grace the silver screen.

There are moments in Rear Window when she is on screen where i simply melt.

Specifically this scene where she is first introduced:

Lisa: How's your leg?
Jeff: Hurts a little.
Lisa: Your stomach?
Jeff: Empty as a football.
Lisa: And your love life?
Jeff: Not too active.
Lisa: Anything else bothering you?
Jeff: Uh-huh, who are you?

Hugo - Angelic. Her, not me...
Dittos. And of course, Hitch's camera work for that scene...where she leans forward towards the camera, playful desire in her eyes...

BTW--as I stated elsewhere, I actually wrote a paper on Grace's role in Rear Window, for a film class.

She's a working woman (and successful--clearly quite wealthy); an independent woman who doesn't "need" Jimmy Stewart's character...but rather wants to be with him; a decisive, strong woman who has a vital role in driving the plot forward, making a very gutsy decision in the quest to catch the you-know-what....

In short, an empowered woman--and yet, not militant or "chip-on-the-shoulder" by any means, despite clear "How-could-you?" dissapointment in her man's (initial) refusal to see her as able to handle his "hard life".

(As I recall, I used that "kind, diplomatic feminism" to compare her role in the film to Sidney Portier's typical characters....)

Thumbs up for Grace, lovely and graceous no matter the era.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote