View Single Post
Old November 16 2012, 06:50 PM   #624
T'Baio
Admiral

Re: Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Because like everyone else I do like a good bit of popcorn entertainment. I thought Avengers was a lot of fun. Upon examination, at least half of that script was total BS, but I don't always notice at first. Same with the trailer. I saw it, liked the fact it was moody, and was enthusiastic. Then some weeks passed, and I was talking to friends about it, and realized that Stark is a character that's already been played out. So has Bruce Wayne. And Peter Parker.. all those guys. Then I saw Cloud Atlas which has real ideas. I started writing, thinking, writing, and watching things again.

Then I realized that this new film is tripe, that it's cultural diarrhea, to borrow a phrase. I was pulled in like everyone else, there you have it.
No offence, but that sounds really pretentious.

"I used to like these entertaining movies, but then I saw Cloud Atlas, and BAM...I realized all movies must be about big, world changing ideas, and everything else just isn't worth it."

I've seen Cloud Atlas twice and read the book three times. I love, I think it's brilliant. I think it's one of the best films of the year.

But I also think The Avengers is one of the best films of the year.

How can they be comparable? Well, they're not, really.

But they both succeed brilliantly in what they set out to achieve. But they want to achieve different things. Cloud Atlas wants to make you think, expose you to ideas, to consider your place in time. The Avengers just wants to be a roller coaster. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Might as well tear down all roller coasters, damn frivolous things. I'm going to sit on a rock and contemplate the universe.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote