View Single Post
Old November 16 2012, 02:54 PM   #85
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
So I've watched the first part of the pilot last night, I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, unfortunately. That's why I haven't read lurok's review yet.

Some first thoughts:

- What's with these people's language?! I felt quite disoriented during the first 15 minutes because of it. And why are the Chinese(?) bits not sub-titled?

- I feel the actor who plays the captain looks a bit too young and too shiny to be a convincing grumpy, disillusioned captain and to call the Doctor "boy".

- I had quite some laughs, but some of the humorous bits rubbed me the wrong way. "Kaylee is dead". Har har.

- I do hope the characters will develop beyond the stereotypes they appear to represent in the first 1.5 hours, e.g. the whore, the priest, the nerd, the comedic sociopath…

- I love the feel of the ship, people having to climb ladders and stuff.

- On a superficial note: I think the Doctor is cute.

I don’t sound too enthusiastic, do I?
These mirror many of my first impressions as well. I think Nathan works as the captain, though. "Kaylee is dead" didn't cause me to laugh and it made the crew look mean. "Boy," wasn't necessary. My favorite character would probably be Simon (the Doctor), but not by much because I ended up really liking them all. By the end of the 14 episodes, they still are a little stereotypical, but they work.

The language is a bit jarring/disorienting at first, but you get used to it. It's an odd mangle of old American Western English and, I believe, Mandarin Chinese. I think when I watched the DVD special thing, they said that the two big powers in the future spoke English/Chinese and so that's what everyone grows up learning to speak. It would have been nice to get subtitles, but what's said in Chinese is supposed to be negligible.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote