View Single Post
Old November 16 2012, 07:39 AM   #343
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Envisioning the world of 2100

gturner wrote: View Post
You mean the Me-163, He-176, X-1, X-1A, X-2, X-4, and X-15 weren't rockets, they were jets? Someone call the Air Force!
Nope, they're not rockets. They're rocket powered aircraft and none of them were capable of attaining orbit, let alone with a useable payload.

The X-1 had a horizontal rocket-fuel tank stressed for 20 G's. The Air Force has hung iiquid fueled intercept missiles on aircraft, where they experience severe sideward G-loads as a part of normal operations. Apparently, although obviously nobody in rocketry today has the knowledge of how to do it, at one time engineers knew how to design a horizontal fuel cylinder to a set of design specifications. (Some engineers in fields like conventional aviation, rail and truck transport, and the energy industries have hidden away these design secrets).
none of those vehicles/tanks were trying to achieve orbit either.
Elon Musk must've recruited on of these engineers to check the Falcon 4 for Stratolaunch operations,
ah, ah, you're moving goalposts again. You claim to be able to ground launch a vehicle the size of a Saturn 5

There's dense, and then there's black-hole dense.
Please, don't be so hard on yourself. (get it? hard- dense?)
If an Air Force general got a bee in his bonnet and decided his new ballistic missile should be stored horizontally for easier mobile deployment, leap in the air horizontally, and then transition to vertical flight to cut several minutes off the response time, the aerospace contractors would just ask "How high before it pivots?" It's not a difficult problem,
until you need it to achieve orbit and with a payload as large as an Apollo mission instead of some relatively small warheads
and you can do it just fine with solids
no, you can't
(which, after all, allow for precision or we wouldn't be using them for ICBM's or the Space Shuttle)
solids aren't precise. They are powerfully brutish with no throttle control. Which is why they are used in early stage of flight on STS and ICBMs to allow for plenty of time to course correct after they burn out.
To the military, this kind of thing is trivial. To NASA types it's apparently more baffling than a warp drive and they think it simply can't be done.
Neither here nor there. If the military were trying to build a vehicle to get to orbit they would have the same exact problems. It's only trivial because you don't know what you're talking about.