View Single Post
Old November 16 2012, 02:32 AM   #44
BK613
Captain

Re: 70 years to the Alpha Quadrant?

Timo wrote: View Post
I don't remember the exact location of the GQ terminus ever being established.
The onscreen map from VOY helpfully gives that position, too.
a link to an image would be nice; not seeing that info in the trekcore screencaps
However, the location of Voyager as established in Year of Hell P1 places her out on the rim, near the GQ-DQ border (right where she would have to be, if she were to be 70k ly from Earth and still be in the galaxy.)
Depends on how big you think the galaxy is. The general ballpark figure is 100,000 ly across for the disk, with Earth about halfway from the center, but modern data prefers 120,000 ly, with Earth two thirds out. Either way, it's perfectly possible to draw a circle with 70,000 ly radius around Earth and have a significant part of that remain inside the galaxy - symmetrically in Delta and Gamma!
To be fair, the current estimate is 100,000-120,000 ly. The distance of Earth from the center though is currently understood to be in the range of 24,000-28,000 ly. Study of the SMBH at the center of the galaxy has allowed that latter figure to become reasonably accurate in recent years.
And yep, from Earth, there is a nice bit of arc at 70K ly. However...
But not the wormhole, because DS9 dialogue puts it at 70,000 ly from Bajor (and thus from Earth), too. The pilot mentions 90,000 ly, but that was apparently an erroneous estimate, later amended.
a 70k ly arc with Voyager at the center shows that the entirety of the Earth arc (within the galaxy) is closer than 70k. A quick experiment in Google Sketchup this afternoon yielded maximum distance approximations of 44k ly for a 100k ly Milky Way, 56k ly for a 110k ly MW and 67k for a 120k ly MW. These approximations are straight line distances from the location of Voyager shown here to the point where the Earth arc crosses those diameters in the GQ. Since the GQ terminus of the WH is along that Earth arc as well then I stand by my original statement; Janeway took the long way home.*
And one could argue that Janeway wasn't aware
What she was aware of was that the portmaster of her last port of call had very recently DESTROYED the wormhole (even if only in his dreams) because there was an INVINCIBLE FOE on the other side. Odds are that the wormhole would have ceased to exist immediately after Janeway's departure, but even if not, the route would be impassable because, well, the foe was invincible.
No doubt she was briefed on the situation around DS9, since she was operating in the area however, Star Fleet has a way of dealing with invincible foes. Even befriending former foes. I would think that ol' Kate "Starfleet" Janeway would expect an established Federation presence in the GQ by the time Voyager arrived.

*(FWIW, I do realize that the show needed, for dramatic purposes, to be about the voyage home, not to some distant wormhole. )