View Single Post
Old November 15 2012, 10:47 PM   #29
slappy
Commodore

Re: Now That John Logan Has Proven Himself, What Went Wrong With Nemes

Admiral_Sisko wrote: View Post
  • Too much emphasis on Picard and Data, with only minor involvement of the rest of the main characters
Agreed.

• Too many out-of-character moments for prominent characters (Picard's "unsafe velocities," for example)
I disagree. People point to Picard as being written out of chacracter, but he's different than he used to be. It makes sense. He's not the same guy. Time has passed. Picard from Encourter at Farpoint isn't the same guy from Nemesis, nor should he be.

• Poorly developed plot with too much focus on recreating scenes and scenarios used in previous films.
  • Poor continuity with The Next Generation television series (no mention of Lore, for example)
  • Deletion of several character-building scenes (Data and Picard's discussion in the latter's quarters) in order to include more action in the film
  • Use of an alien race (Remans) never before featured on Star Trek
Didn't bother me. You don't have to mention every single race for that race to be a factor. Not to mention, they were underlings, undesirables, slaves. There's no reason for you to have seen them. Made mention, maybe, but it's hardly a requirement. They don't constantly talk about albino people on Breaking Bad, but they exist. It just never comes up.

• Lack of believable reasons for various plot events (Shinzon's existence, the construction of the Scimitar, the thalaron weapon, etc.)
I agree about Shinzon, but not necessarily the other two. A superweapon is kind of a sci-fi staple. It could've been done much smarter than that, but in and of itself I don't have a problem.

The Schimitar makes sense to me. It's not so much a superweapon as a one-of-a-kind gigantic tank. A fleet of starships could've cut it down in no time flat, but the Enterprise was alone.

slappy is offline   Reply With Quote