View Single Post
Old November 15 2012, 01:30 AM   #451
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise

^ I agree that they didn't have experience, and I'll even say that this was shown fairly well. But, that wasn't the issue I had with this episode.

R. Star wrote: View Post
Comparing the Augments in Enterprise to the Jack Pack isn't exactly fair. Of course the Jack Pack got more individual attention, there were only four of them and they could do that. In Enterprise there were a couple dozen, so naturally they focused on the ringleaders. Spending time to focus on those background augments really would just distract from the story arc.
The comparison is very fair. The "Jack Pack" were exactly what they were described as--Broken. The "Soong Pack" was described as extremely ambitious, intelligent, gifted, hostile, and driven. I really only saw that with one of them while the rest fell back as sheep. The way these augments were described within the series should have brought about more interactions in the group of about 10-12 augments (not 2 dozen). The only person that really questioned anything with any kind of ambition/arrogant defiance was again one augment. This made him look like the exception rather than the norm.

As far as individual time spent on each and every augment, well, I'm not and I was not asking for a full bio on each one. What I do think was necessary was more interaction. You mention that there were only 4 in the "Jack Pack," well we didn't even see 4 augments in these episodes interacting with each other at one specific time, so it's still a failure there, even by that standard. All I'm saying is that they either should have been more as a whole what they were described as or the definition should have been different to fit what we actually saw.

I'll agree with teacake about Persis being a tragic character. Nice to see that at least one of them had the capacity to be decent. And really the way she was murdered was brutally personal there. Never did understand why they all wore those torn clothes like they were uniforms, even if in the case of Persis it looked quite nice. You'd think genetically enhanced superhumans could figure out how to patch a hole if clothes were in short supply.
I agree here too, but I also think she fell in line a bit too easily when she herself seemed to be more measured and could have made a decent leader. Where was her ambition? It's kind of sad that her aspirations were simply sleeping with whatever dude ends up in charge. I think that was her mistake.

To the Forge? The whole story dragged, but finally got interesting enough in the end to keep you wondering what will happen next. Admiral Forrest dying kinda sucked. He was one of the few Admirals in Trek who wasn't a complete jerk. Really though, the story is dedicated to curing Evil Vulcan Syndrome.
I can't disagree here.

teacake wrote: View Post
The Space Seed augments are of the same era and augment project so they are much more comparable. The Jack Pack is hundreds of years later, failed backstreet augmentation that parents thought was going to improve their kids. The Space Seed augments didn't all stand out either and they followed their leader with a greater pack goal in mind which is what the ENT augments were struggling to do. They were handicapped by being much younger and having been abandoned early on but you could see they would have been a powerful squadron of augments had they had the training that the Space Seed augments clearly had had prior to going into stasis.

I think we had quite a few ENT augments being showcased, it's not like any group of people has all of them up front with individual stories.
And once again, the issue for me has nothing to do with hundreds of years later. The issue is that these augments weren't at all what they were described as, save for one. Something's up with that.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote