View Single Post
Old November 15 2012, 12:25 AM   #15
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Re: Exit stage right

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Speaking of flow throughs, there's this partial fanfilm called "Devious" included on the bonus feature of "The War Games" (included because it features a mid-regeneration Doctor who is actually in between his 2nd & 3rd incarnations and Jon Pertwee makes a cameo at the end of it). In it, there's a scene where the Doctor walks entirely around the TARDIS 360 degrees, touches its surface at a few points, and then walks inside and the camera follows him through the doors and it all appears as a single seamless shot. I've never seen anything like it, not even on the new series, and I have absolutely no clue how they did it. Does anyone know how they pulled off that shot?
While I can't specifically say, it does appear to be a composite of two separate images. You can sort of see the different lighting around the Doctor's shoulders compared to the rest of the scene. I suspect he isn't even walking, but walking in place while an image of the TARDIS (filmed by a cameraman walking around it) is placed next to him. He is probably able to touch it because it's a solid wall where he is and he eventually opens the doors on that wall and goes through.

Really cool shot, though. I haven't seen them attempt to do anything like that in the new series.
That's what I first thought. But it seems unlikely that they'd be able to rotoscope him in front of a fake TARDIS so easily. The CSO in that shot is generally pretty poor. The top of the actor's hair is generally missing. And yet there's no edge problems between his arm & the TARDIS, which tells me that the TARDIS is literally there on set with him. Is it possible that there's just a blend between the shots of the TARDIS interior & exterior that I'm just missing?
Also, the Doctor both casts a shadow on the TARDIS and has a reflection in it-- that seems far too accomplished.