View Single Post
Old November 14 2012, 05:32 PM   #5
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Sir Terry Pratchett launches independent production company

Looks like there's some early movement on The Watch, and appears it's the BBC working on it...

From Bleeding Cool

We have been reporting pretty regularly on The Watch, a new TV series set in Discworld, and jokingly referring to it as CSI: Ankh Morpork. The last we heard, the show had hired some writers and drawn up a budget. Baby steps, but in the right direction.

According to the new piece, Terry’s daughter Rihanna Pratchett is one of those writers.

[Rhianna] will be a co-writer on the BBC Discworld series The Watch, news of which has had fans like me chewing their cheeks in excitement. Mine may never recover after hearing some particularly exciting casting details that I’m absolutely not allowed to tell you about.

Run by Pratchett’s new production company, Narrativia, The Watch will continue the well-loved City Watch saga where the books left off, and Rhianna will be an important member of the writing team. The author tells me that he will be happy for her to continue writing the Discworld books when he is no longer able to do so.

That excerpt is bookended with surprising but welcome news. I like particuarly that Pratchett wants to leave behind the keys to Discworld, that he’s planning for his creation to live on and on and on. He said:

The Discworld is safe in my daughter’s hands.

Which reads like peace of mind.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote