Thread: CV confusion
View Single Post
Old November 14 2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: CV confusion

A CV or resume must serve two purposes: provide information about your work, educational history, and skills; and present it in an attention-getting way.

The latter is irrelevant to automated document scraping software, which virtually all job sites and many recruiters use. However, it is extremely important when you are giving it to someone directly, electronically or on paper. There are still places that sort through paper CVs/resumes, and if it doesn't catch the person's eye immediately, it goes into the garbage.

It's also obviously important that you have a lot of "key words" in it, so the automated software picks it up. Don't lie, of course, but be sure to be inclusive.

You can PM me if you'd like me to take a look. I polish up people's CVs/resumes all the time (and I interview candidates, so I can look at it from both sides.)