View Single Post
Old November 14 2012, 10:33 AM   #1869
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Adult space opera and the modern blockbuster movie do not compute. I suspect that for what you want, you have to wait for Star Trek's triumphant return to TV.
That's exactly what I'm doing.... probably in vain.

Kegg wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes - I think what you want isn't adult space opera so much as it is family space opera. The original Star Trek and its successors were pitched at broad audiences, while nuBSG (which you detest) was more pitched towards teens-and-up audiences, just as the current Clone Wars cartoon is aimed at the under-twelve set.
Not necessarily aimed at a family audience, and definitely not aimed at the Rated-M-For-Mature teen set. I want Star Trek to be what it originally was: Idea-driven morality plays and social allegories, stories about the Human condition aimed at grown-ups. I want it to go back to being the show that's remembered for having the first interracial kiss on TV and commentaries on Vietnam and overpopulation and so on.