Old November 13 2012, 10:00 PM   #150
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Or the ignorance of just how large Asia is - which may very well be one and the same thing. To lump everything in it under "Asia" is just silly.

In my opinion, Bones wasn't wrong in calling Shanghai an Oriental city as, well, China is what I would describe as the Orient.
I'm not the one who came up with this. This is simply the current state of the language. In North America, "Orient" and "Oriental" are held to be an outdated and somewhat offensive term (not a slur, per se; it's more akin to "Negro"). Some US states have outright banned its use in documents, not that it is used much or at all anyway. This has largely been because of the preferences of Asians themselves. That's really all that needs to be said on the matter.
Well I for one have never known any people from that region getting upset by it being referred to as the Orient, nor referring to say, a city like Shanghai as Oriental. I even decided to ask one of my co-workers who hails from Hong Kong if it was deemed inappropriate and she said, no it wasn't.

So anyway, can you post a link or two actually referring to what your asserting please.

But it does sound a bit like what Bob described last night.

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I mean, did you even see the film?
I'm guessing he did given the whole discussion over the right or wrong use of Oriental when referring to that region of the globe came out of Bones review of the film.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote