View Single Post
Old November 13 2012, 09:40 PM   #435
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
I loved Arik Soong, great character played brilliantly by Spiner.
I agree.

Gaith wrote: View Post

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
It's too bad that xenophobia has caused Phlox, the guy that kept the crew that saved the world patched up and ticking, to be treated so badly at the bar.
As a 21st-century Trek fan, I found that plot dismally insulting in its pedantry, and the fact that it takes place in my hometown, which is noted for its enlightened ways, is especially gross.

Guess the other stuff is okay, though.
I'm sorry that this was the case, but at least it didn't seem like the point was to say anything bad about the people in that specific area; it seemed that the point was to say that even though human ideals/teachings had evolved, human nature remained a tougher task in this instance with some.

R. Star wrote: View Post
The Vulcan wedding ceremony was interesting. You'd think a species as civilized as Vulcans would be beyond arranged marriages, but guess not.
Yeah, but we only got to see the beginning. We didn't get to see the whole thing.

My understanding of the arranged marriages is that it's a matter of what's logical with them. It's logical to have a mate and to find one in the most efficient manner. The most efficient manner to them seems to be based off of a compatibility that the families in question sort out, but the two people involved get the final say. T'Pol had to agree to the marriage in the end. It wasn't forced on her like in some cultures here. That's good.

One thing I do wonder about with the reboot movie is how did Vulcan get to have a population 6 billion people. It seems like they only mate every seven years, and not every time is going to lead to pregnancy. I guess it means they mate to have children specifically or something like that, but still, 6 billion... Interesting.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote