Thread: Worst Season?
View Single Post
Old November 13 2012, 09:13 PM   #37
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Worst Season?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post

I would like to know what Stan Smith has against DS9, though.
TNG is my second favorite Trek show behind TOS, but it didn't mean I needed to go and rag on Voyager or Enterprise or Deep Space Nine. I picked TNG season seven (because it was simply terrible) even though I like TNG on a whole better than some other series. To just say TOS on the whole with no reasoning behind it just comes off as trolling.

As for Stan Smith, we may never know what he has against DS9. I found the quote funny and its one of the few times I've seen it mentioned in pop culture.
As does calling DS9 a "soap opera" without seeing all of it or saying why the person thinks it's a soap, but people should be able to say what they think. Who's ragging on all of the other series they don't like or that aren't favorites here?

And based off of what you've said, I think Stan Smith has a lot in common with the few people I've come in contact with that call DS9 a soap or say that it's unwatchable. I never can get a detailed reason as to why.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
DS9 features terrorists and doesn't paint them all as villains. I imagine this likely infuriates Stan Smith which is why he can't stand DS9.

Actually, the irony is is that when he made that comment, it's about surrogate births. "I've never heard of this and I've seen every episode of Star Trek. Wait, is this Deep Space Nine?..." DS9 of course, is the only Trek series to feature a surrogate birth, so whoever wrote the episode clearly doesn't hate DS9 and is very familiar with it.
Thank you. Surrogate births must have seemed unnatural to him, but it is sci-fi. One thing that DS9 does well it to show that terms such as "villain" and "terrorist" are relative. I could see how that could be infuriating to someone that believes that they can only describe the one or few groups he's defined as such.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote