View Single Post
Old November 11 2012, 05:55 PM   #1184
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

307. p.s. (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A 39 year old admissions officer invites a student back to her place during the day for sex and what follows is a budding relationship and a lot of past issues that resurface. Stars Laura Linney and Topher Grace. Paul Rudd also has a small role as Linney's character's brother. I think this is the first time I've really seen him in a dramatic piece. Just had to say that. Anyway, back to the movie. The initial sex scene was one of the best I've ever seen. It takes place in real time from the two of them making out on the couch to him putting on the condom to them going at it until they're done. What follows is a somewhat convoluted story about personal issues. It's still interesting enough to watch though. Laura Linney also has a beauty that I've never really noticed before this film.

308. Creation (✩✩✩) - DVD - A slightly fictionalized account of Charles Darwin as he came up with some new ideas about life in the face of a family and a society that believed in the bible. Stars Paul Bettany, Jennifer Connelly and Benedict Cumberbatch before he was famous. I didn't find the movie all that engaging, but I made it to the end. Same old religion versus science debate without anything too insightful, but parts of this argument were integrated into the film nicely through scenes showing us the process of life and nature.

309. The Tree of Life (✩✩✩½) - Blu-ray - This is a supremely bizzare movie. It's more of a moving art piece than a story that tells a cohesive narrative. It covers the discord of a family in the 1950s and the effect it has on an older present-day version of one of the kids in that family. These events are shown in the context of the creation of the universe, the galaxy, and life on Earth. We're supposed to think about this family's discord and how it relates to the state of grace. I think. It's a movie where you really have to pay attention and either think about what you're watching or just take it all in and try to see what comes. It reminded me of 2001 and The Fountain. And that's interesting because the fx guy who did 2001 also worked on the creation montage for this movie, as did the company that worked on The Fountain. Stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain. She got a lot of buzz last year. This is the first time I saw her in anything. I think. I thought of giving this movie a "Not Rated" score, because it really is hard to grade, but I think I'll go with something middling to decent just for the effects and the voice-over at the beginning that set up the movie's subject matter even if the resulting piece lacked clarity. I looked up the movie at the IMDb and saw a thread called "Where can I get the 6 hour director's cut?" I laughed out loud when I saw that.

Theatre: 20
DVD/Blu-ray: 117
Live TV: 120
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 43
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote