View Single Post
Old November 11 2012, 01:17 PM   #35
Awesonne
Ensign

Re: VOTE today! And is the Federation a democracy?

Sci wrote: View Post
Awesonne wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post

I don't see how we could say that, because there were no democracies before the mid-20th century. Every so-called "democracy" that existed before then was actually just another oligarchy that excluded people on the basis of race, sex, and/or religion. The United States, for instance, was not a democracy until the passage of the Voting Rights Act in 1965.
Well, then a fortiori. We can't tell democracy will stand the trial of time by looking at history.
I have not argued in this thread that we know with any certainty that democracy will last -- only that there is no such thing as liberty without it.
I know, and lol, we actually agree, if I am not mistaken, that the Federation is a democracy. You have btw stated that other forms of government would eventually produce class conflict - then we got taken in the flow of discussion since I do not agree with some basic opinions you have about democracy.

The reason for this apparent off-topic was: I can think of a non-democratic government without oppression, but I do believe Federation is a democracy due to the way we've seen its citizens relate to its values. That is, for me we can infer UFP is a democracy by looking at its citizens' psychology.
BMO: "That is an interesting response. Battery low. Shutdown."
Awesonne is offline   Reply With Quote