View Single Post
Old November 11 2012, 05:29 AM   #9
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man DVD review, discussion thread (poss. spoile

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
[*]Didn't like tying everything into Oscorp. Osborne is only ONE of Spidey's villains, but the modern mythos has turned him into an all-powerful, omnipresent, Lex Luthor type menace.[/LIST]
That didn't bother me, honestly. Film adaptations should be regarded and critiqued in a vacuum, not as a comparison to their source material, and one of the major themes (if not the primary one, honestly) of the film is that Peter Parker is trying to be the big dog in a world that is far, far bigger than he actually realizes and that there is so much stuff going on behind the scenes / in the bigger picture that he doesn't know. Establishing Oscorp as a multi-tentacled beast was a great creative decision.

Speaking of which, did I misread the scenes, or did Peter pretty much adapt his father's notes and give them to Connors? I know he pored over the notes and Connor's research, but I never got the sense that Peter created it by himself, but he did pass it off as all his own work.
Peter took his Dad's notes and added a little bit, but he was essentially passing off Richard Parker's research as his own, yep. Ties into the theme of Peter not having the slightest understanding of the implications of what he does.

As for Gwen, I'm okay with it, if they intend to introduce Mary Jane further down the line. But, I'm with you 100% on the fact that Peter and MJ belong together, eventually.
Shailene Woodley has been cast as Mary Jane; she is reportedly set to have a smaller role in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (for lack of a better title at this point) and her deal includes an option for a third film (which basically says that they're killing Gwen at some point in one of the sequels).
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote