View Single Post
Old November 10 2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Wii U launches on November 18th

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I think what made the first one so successful was its simplicity. They managed to tap into markets that no other console had managed to do before because it was so simple to just pick up and play, including folks in long-term care facilities. That was unheard of and there's no other console that can lay claim to doing that. I fear that the tablet will actually add a layer of complexity that will make it less accessible to the new markets it had created.
I agree with this. With Wii Sports, all you had to do was pretend to throw a bowling ball and your character would do so on screen. Any non-gamer could pick it up and understand the controls perfectly within seconds. That's not the case with the Wii U. Even hardcore gamers will need some time to get comfortable with the new controls.

The only audience I can see for this system are the diehard Nintendo fans. There's enough of them out there to keep a console profitable (for example the Gamecube), but that's a huge step down from the universal appeal of the Wii. Of course, I could be wrong. I had the same doubts about the Wii back in 2006.

Yeah, exactly. I think what we have as a result of the Wii U is Nintendo failing to understand their own market. I think they had found a sweetspot, managing to balance both hardcore gaming and casual gaming, enticing non-gamers to the console, and they were in a really good place. The Wii's in nearly every home due to its accessibility, something that wasn't the case since the Atari 2600. With the Wii U, it seems as though they've turned their backs on a huge part of the success of the Wii.

I remember when they were developing the Wii. The Gamecube wasn't selling as well as they'd hope and they wanted to come up with something that would save them financially, and I believe they needed it quickly. They likely succeeded beyond what they imagined, and what they had done was sheer brilliance. It might not have had the best hardware, but it had appeal.

I have no problem with the Gamecube, but the Wii was special. It wasn't a regular console. With the Wii U, it seems like they're falling back onto old-school thinking with a traditional console in terms of appeal. I think if Nintendo had been smart, they'd have made the tablet optional with the standard Wii motion controllers as default, and the tablet mandatory for some more advanced games for the hardcore gamers. It will be interesting to see how well it sells, but I'm not expecting it to sell out everywhere and be hard to get a hold of.

Btw, I think everyone had doubts about the Wii as it was something brand new and nobody knew what to expect. Nintendo had a lot to prove.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote