View Single Post
Old November 10 2012, 02:40 PM   #24
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Federation planets and internal revolution

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The writers wanted a planet lost that would resonate with the audience, but Vulcan was rejected since ...
It was stated in Unification that Vulcan possessed "Vulcan Defense Ships," suggesting they had their own military organization separate from Starfleet. Betazed too had it's own defense forces, but they were described as weak and out dated.

Vulcans and Betazed are very much not the same people.

Add in Spock's statement that : "Vulcan has not been conquered within its collective memory. The memory goes back so far that no Vulcan can conceive of a conqueror."

If faced with the JemHadar, Vulcans might have fought to their own destruction. The Betazed on the other hand could be seen to make the pragmatic decision of surrendering at some point to the Dominion forces.

Timo wrote: View Post
On the other hand, Vulcan secession is a common theme in Trek novels.
In one of the early novels (or maybe a fan fiction) it said that Cait, Lt. M'Ress's home world, would almost regularly secede from the Federation in protest over council decisions, later they would rejoin again.

while also emphasizing that Sisko isn't cleared to violate the PD in the process
Suggesting that under a different set of circumstance Sisko might have beem allowed to violate the PD, in order to acomplish the "mission."

Picard confidentially, almost conspiratorially, divulges the "real" mission to Sisko
Every time I watch that scene, I get the feeling that Picard is pushing a personal agenda, rather than a Starfleet one, to get Bajor into the Federation. He did seem to have a interest in Bajor and it's fate.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote