View Single Post
Old November 10 2012, 02:28 PM   #32
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Ensigns of Command question..

^ The Sheliak probably destroyed the colony anyway (even when the colonists evacuated), so I doubt Gosheven bothered with that.

As for the Alamo: I repeat, there was symbolic value in one group of humans staying to fight another group of humans. The Alamo was much more of a fair fight than this ever could be. Gosheven's colonists attempting to stand up to the Sheliak would be like trying to shoot down a jet airliner, barrelling down the runway where you know it will run you over and crush you, with a BB gun. Or, more to the point, trying to blow up a bomb that is about to land on your house and destroy you, using nothing but a set of firecrackers.

In any case, the result is the same: What possible value could there be in a slaughter that has literally, absolutely no chance of ever going your way? It's not symbolic, just silly.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote