View Single Post
Old November 10 2012, 12:48 PM   #491
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I guess my confusion is that good ratings usually guarantee renewal. Didn't someone say that it was Dave's second highest rated show ever? The BBC or an American cable network couldn't get a contract sent out fast enough.

I've just never seen television work this way.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if it didn't sell well, particularly amongst US FD fans.
Not just Dave's second highest rated show ever, UKTV, across all 10 channels, second highest rated show ever, first being Back to Earth.
It may just be an anomaly with the way UKTV, 50/50 ownership between BBC Worldwide and Scripps, Advertising provided by Channel 4, and BBC Worldwide's profits going back to the BBC.

But it's probably along the lines of the sales of the DVD can't hurt so buy them and give them more reason to renew it. As it's a BBC Worldwide production, and BBC Worldwide produce and sell the DVDs the profit goes directly to them, unlike say Stargate where MGM produce it, Syfy air it and Sony produce the DVDs, so all of the profit goes to the same people.