View Single Post
Old November 10 2012, 09:45 AM   #1832
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Christopher wrote: View Post
Now I'm more uneasy than ever about Defiance. The trailer's focus on combat scenes against video-gamey-looking monsters turns me off. I guess I should've expected it, since most video games these days seem to be all about guns and carnage and ridiculous amounts of violence. If the show is consciously trying to feel like a video game, I probably won't care for it. Which is a shame. I hope the shoot-'em-up stuff is a smaller component of the show than the trailer suggested.
This isn't really true. The big "Triple A" titles like Halo, Call of Duty, Medal of Honour etc. might be but even from the big "blockbuster" stuff you have the FIFA, and NFL stuff, you have Need for Speed and F1, you have the games like Portal which despite being like an FPS are all about puzzle solving. There's still Super Mario and Zelda games which are still huge. That's not even going to mention indie games like the Bit.Trip games or Eurfloria and Flower, and Journey.

Blockbuster games are like Blockbuster films and popular TV shows. For the most part they are lowest common denominator with some gems that stand out from the pack. While there's wonderful stuff to be found out there if you look.