View Single Post
Old November 10 2012, 01:49 AM   #17
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

gblews wrote: View Post
I hope it's Phil. Second choice would be Jerry Sloan. Push comes to shove, I could live with the overrated Nate McMillan -- but HELL NO to D'Antoni. His teams never play defense and always choke in the playoffs.
Jackson might not be an ideal fit; most of the core from when he last coached the team is gone, so he'd have to effectively re-install the triangle offense. He and Jim Buss don't get along at all, either. If he did get the job, I guarantee you it would just be as a stopgap for the remainder of the season, while a full coaching search went on. He's 67 and pretty clearly doesn't want to coach until his hip falls off. (Even prior to his final season, he was wanting to only coach home games and let Shaw lead the team on the road.)

Jerry Sloan is a hell of a coach and I'd love to see him get a ring, but he and Dwight Howard would be a match made in Hell. And given that that Sloan had a breakdown over the strain of having Utah management back him 99.9 percent in his fight with Deron Williams instead of 100 percent, I'm not sure the Los Angeles media market and the Buss family is a great fit for him.

Comedy option: Stan Van Gundy.