View Single Post
Old November 8 2012, 03:31 PM   #30
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Re: Unofficial art challenge for DS9! (SPOILERS FOR TP: RAISE THE DAW

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
Patrickivan wrote: View Post
Okay- I've whipped something up. This is about 560 metres across. The ship is a placeholder from my builds- it's about 300 metres long. I think that I would double the size of this base to make it work.
That's pretty small compared to the original station:

Rick Sternbach blueprinted the visual effects miniature with a conceptual diameter of approximately 3,600 feet (1,100 meters), but the visual effects department later increased it to 5,280 feet (precisely one mile or 1,609.344 meters). In Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual, Sternbach compromised at 1,451.82 meters (4,763.19 feet), although the new size matches only Doug Drexler's images of the exterior in the book, not his cutaways which depict a smaller station.
So my intent to double the size should work out well. Espcially given the volume of the sphere, we'll be looking at a HUGE base relative to DS9. The rings alone will be massive in volume.

sojourner wrote: View Post
If the original is 1 mile across, than those windows on the central hub must be HUGE.
I've always had issues with the scale of that station. But- scale is relative to the story line in a lot of Trek, both old and new, eh?

________

I was thinking of putting some kind of communications arrays on the ends of each Ring but don't want to over do it. Maybe just the north/south points? And some control structures along hard docking points?

I also want to put some shuttle docking bays on the sphere, but don't want it to look like the death star.

The main thing is to keep it looking nothing like a Cardassian design. From what I'm gathering from the simple description I read, it's a Federation design.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote