View Single Post
Old November 8 2012, 12:39 AM   #25
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: "The Three Saaviks"

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
If Roddenberry disliked the story enough, he might have asked that his name be removed from the credits.
That was always his threat, from ST II onwards; that if he did not approve his name would be withheld from the credits as a sign to the fans.

He was gravely ill at the time of ST VI but responded via memo to an early script, the one where he doubted the wisdom of making Saavik a traitor, and to Kirk's anti-Klingon attitude. He watched the work print in the Paramount theatrette from his wheelchair with his carer/chauffeur, Ernie Over, and was essentially taken straight to hospital. He never came home.
He also had an in-person meeting with Nick Meyer that ended badly. Meyer told him off, cursed him out, and stormed out.

Oddly, Roddenberry never had a meeting with Harve Bennett about the films during his tenure on the films. Bennett has said that he wanted to talk stories out with Roddenberry, but Roddenberry always refused, preferring to do things by paper.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Rumours abounded that he "raced to his office" and started dashing off memos and making angry phone calls, but Ernie himself once told me that Roddenberry was too ill to do anything like that and GR's only comment on ST VI that day was, "I'm sure the Star Trek fans will like it."
But someone did write a memo with requested changes after that screening. There's also someone who made a statement to the Okudas that Star Trek VI had what Roddenberry considered "apocryphal" elements (mentioned in their introduction in A History of the Future). Personally, I've always thought the person responsible for both the memo and the "apocryphal" designation was mostly likely Richard Arnold based on certain things in his infamous interview with Tim Lynch.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote