View Single Post
Old November 6 2012, 09:03 PM   #158
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Is TOS the best sci-fi TV American series until 1985?

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
Again, what was said is irrelevant.
No offense, but are not making much sense: if the people behind a production tell you--or rather do not tell you a production is a reimagining, then no reimagining exists. Defining the content begins and ends there, not with how one audience member sees it.
If they don't tell you, then the possibility exists. Heck, even if they tell you it isn't, it can still be one. Of course we are talking about the late 70s, the term "reimagining" wasn't even part of the lexicon back then, even though the concept existed.

I'm doubt I'm alone in this. But I was quite clear that it was argument that "could be made" not a hard fact.

What appeared on the screen is. Tone and characterization.
...which is the end result of what the producers intended: TMP was the same continuity as TOS. Nothing from the production parties involved or the filmed script suggests anything else--the reason to this day, TOS and the films are seen as a joined series. The TMP versions of the characters show growth, so naturally, they were not going to behave exactly as seen ten years earlier when serving on the original Enterprise. That's growth--far different than the trend of TV reunion movies were the actors are instructed to go through the same routines of yesteryear.

The only true reimagining in ST occured in NuTrek and in parts of ENT.
I didn't see any "growth" just a change in characterization. Kirk being an admiral isn't character growth.

That's not reimagining, or anything close to it. Xon was eliminated, Nimoy returned, but even if he (Nimoy) refused to don the ears again, Phase II and TMP were "the continuing adventures of," not an alternate universe, reboot or a seperate continuity.
Of course it's reimagining. They're changing the role of Kirk by adding Decker as a "Kirk in training" type character. The absence of Spock also alters the dynamic of Star Trek's cast.

I'm familiar with the history behind Phase II and TMP's development, so Nimoy coming back isn't news. Saying its the "continuing adventures" doesn't make it either production any less of a "reimagining". TNG is pretty obviously a reworking of Phase II even though its set 100 years in the "future".

I'm talking about old magazine articles of the period.

However, NBC's next move began with calling for another live action series, but, as noted on page 52 of Star Trek: Where No One Has Gone Before (Dillard, 1994) in the wake of learning the demographic impact TOS had:

Network executives approached Roddenberry. But it was determined that the venture would be too expensive--Paramount said that rebuilding sets and replacing props and costumes would cost $750,000--so the project was dropped.
...but the interest remained. Enter Filmation Associates, which scoped out ST as early as 1969.

Next, in the new bio Lou Schiemer: Creating the Filmation Generation:

NBC wanted Star Trek so desperately that they gave us that creative control....
So, it is historically established that both Filmation & NBC wanted more TOS.
The older the book the more likely it was just regurgitating the "myths".

As for the more recent book:

Still the question remains. Did NBC contact Filmation or did Filmation contact NBC?

And, if NBC was so hot to acquire Star Trek to tap into the demo they desired, why a Saturday morning animated series that was unlikely to reach that demo?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote