View Single Post
Old November 6 2012, 07:57 PM   #156
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: Is TOS the best sci-fi TV American series until 1985?

Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
Again, what was said is irrelevant.
No offense, but are not making much sense: if the people behind a production tell you--or rather do not tell you a production is a reimagining, then no reimagining exists. Defining the content begins and ends there, not with how one audience member sees it.

What appeared on the screen is. Tone and characterization.
...which is the end result of what the producers intended: TMP was the same continuity as TOS. Nothing from the production parties involved or the filmed script suggests anything else--the reason to this day, TOS and the films are seen as a joined series. The TMP versions of the characters show growth, so naturally, they were not going to behave exactly as seen ten years earlier when serving on the original Enterprise. That's growth--far different than the trend of TV reunion movies were the actors are instructed to go through the same routines of yesteryear.

The only true reimagining in ST occured in NuTrek and in parts of ENT.

subjective. Though its clear with the additions of Decker, Ilia and Xon, the character dynamics of Star Trek were being changed
That's not reimagining, or anything close to it. Xon was eliminated, Nimoy returned, but even if he (Nimoy) refused to don the ears again, Phase II and TMP were "the continuing adventures of," not an alternate universe, reboot or a seperate continuity.

Two, there was a mutual interest in Trek returning; Filmation (and another animation house) wanted to adapt it (remember, the early 1970s was a hot period of old TV series adapted into the cartoon format, such as The Addams Family, Gilligan's Island, My Favorite Martian, I Dream of Jeannie, The Partridge Family, and specials based on Lost in Space and Gidget) but from the articles i've read, TOS' mighty syndication feat prodded NBC into wanting a return of TOS.
Links to said articles?
I'm talking about old magazine articles of the period.

However, NBC's next move began with calling for another live action series, but, as noted on page 52 of Star Trek: Where No One Has Gone Before (Dillard, 1994) in the wake of learning the demographic impact TOS had:

Network executives approached Roddenberry. But it was determined that the venture would be too expensive--Paramount said that rebuilding sets and replacing props and costumes would cost $750,000--so the project was dropped.
...but the interest remained. Enter Filmation Associates, which scoped out ST as early as 1969.

Next, in the new bio Lou Schiemer: Creating the Filmation Generation:

NBC wanted Star Trek so desperately that they gave us that creative control....
So, it is historically established that both Filmation & NBC wanted more TOS.