View Single Post
Old November 6 2012, 03:51 PM   #342
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Ancient Aliens

RAMA wrote: View Post
newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
The human species is an evolutionary inflection point..."I think it very likely in fact inevitable that biological intelligence is only a transitory phenomenon, a fleeting phase in the evolution of the universe," Davies writes. "If we ever encounter extraterrestrial intelligence, I believe it is overwhelmingly likely to be post-biological in nature."

By Paul Davies, a British-born theoretical physicist, cosmologist, astrobiologist
What is it about theoretical physicist/cosmologists that leads them to believe they are in any way qualified to speculate about subjects totally unrelated to their area of expertise?

Basically a book about many of the concepts and possibilities I've shared with you on this board in the recent past
A book about theoretical evolutionary paradigms, written by a physicist. It should be about as useful as a book on high energy particle physics written by an archeologist.
As I pointedd out in other threads it hass been far more common in the last 3 to 4 decades for scientists to comment on interdisciplinary topics than ever before, partly because of convergence on many subjects (biology is in fact related to physics and planetary science)
No they don't. Biologists do not comment on matters of physics OR planetary science for the same reason archeologists don't comment on economics or psychology; the only reason the REVERSE is true is because members of the latter discipline are used to people respecting them as Really Smart People and never questioning the validity of their claims.

People ASSUME those fields have a certain overlap, but this is only true on the purely superficial/philosophical level where science fiction writers generally operate. The actual study of theoretical physics and evolutionary biology are so fundamentally different and involve such hugely different data sets that the experts in either field know almost nothing of consequence about the other (or else they would be experts in BOTH disciplines, which no human really has time for).

and because science has been popularized in general by some writers outside their disciple, Asimov and Sagan pretty much got the ball rolling there...
Yes, because they were science fiction writers. Sci-fi writers don't HAVE to know what they're talking about, they just have to sound like they do, and that's easier to do if you have an actual science background.

Physicists need to get over themselves and realize that a doctorate in theoretical physics isn't a license to make shit up and have people believe you.

As for Davies, if you'll note he also an astrobiologist.
Of course he is. And I'm a professional dragon slayer.