Thread: Ancient Aliens
View Single Post
Old November 6 2012, 08:40 AM   #341
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Ancient Aliens

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
The human species is an evolutionary inflection point..."I think it very likely – in fact inevitable – that biological intelligence is only a transitory phenomenon, a fleeting phase in the evolution of the universe," Davies writes. "If we ever encounter extraterrestrial intelligence, I believe it is overwhelmingly likely to be post-biological in nature."

By Paul Davies, a British-born theoretical physicist, cosmologist, astrobiologist
What is it about theoretical physicist/cosmologists that leads them to believe they are in any way qualified to speculate about subjects totally unrelated to their area of expertise?

Basically a book about many of the concepts and possibilities I've shared with you on this board in the recent past
A book about theoretical evolutionary paradigms, written by a physicist. It should be about as useful as a book on high energy particle physics written by an archeologist.
As I pointedd out in other threads it hass been far more common in the last 3 to 4 decades for scientists to comment on interdisciplinary topics than ever before, partly because of convergence on many subjects (biology is in fact related to physics and planetary science) and because science has been popularized in general by some writers outside their disciple, Asimov and Sagan pretty much got the ball rolling there.... It is useful more than ever for researchers to involve those of other disciplines to get a complete picture of their specialty.

As for Davies, if you'll note he also an astrobiologist. And also because of this:http://beyond.asu.edu/

Last edited by RAMA; November 6 2012 at 08:57 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote