View Single Post
Old November 5 2012, 11:30 PM   #76
Grey
Lieutenant Commander

Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
I feel that creating an industry standard, and by percentage, turns it from being a tip into a tax. Something required regardless of level of service. They've set the standard of what I believe to be a fair tip, and force my hand, because if I don't tip "industry standard", then I'm apparently a cheap ass, and that's just not right.

I do understand where you're coming from, as well. Like I said, I love to tip generously, but when it's demanded of me, it changes the relationship between the server and the customer, placing undue pressure on both by the employer.
And there you go. I have to agree with this.

The industry standard, so far as I know, is 20% base with higher for exceptional service and lower (but no lower than 15% or 10% in extreme cases) for worse service. But when I talk to people outside of the service industry?

"Oh. I thought 10% was the base standard for exceptional service!"

How many times have I had that conversation? People who haven't worked in the food industry don't actually know what the current industry standard is. And then you get people who do use tips as a way to communicate various messages about the service, but they don't tell you which messages, nor do they tell you which amount corresponds to pleasure vs displeasure (remembering that many still think 10% is for excellent service!), so in the end tipping percentage does a lousy job of communicating how effective the service was.

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I've noticed the quality of service decrease with each new generation (for lack of a better term) of young people. "Millenials" in general are the worst, especially about interrupting conversations.
Hey, you raised us.

Cat Caddy - a comic blog
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote