View Single Post
Old November 5 2012, 02:28 PM   #60
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The problem is that tipping by percentage is an industry practice. The server has no idea what your intentions were by your tip; all they have to go by is the percentage. If that percentage is low, it may give them the impression that they did something wrong.
I feel that creating an industry standard, and by percentage, turns it from being a tip into a tax. Something required regardless of level of service. They've set the standard of what I believe to be a fair tip, and force my hand, because if I don't tip "industry standard", then I'm apparently a cheap ass, and that's just not right.

And yes, I do completely understand where you're coming from. In many cases the price of a meal doesn't necessarily reflect the quality or type of service you receive, but in other cases it may. In a more high-end restaurant, for example, servers probably have smaller sections (maybe only 3 or 4 tables at a time) to wait on because they have more steps to follow with each table. In that case, they need to maximize their tips. In a more relaxed setting like a bar, a server might have 10-12 tables at a time, so each individual tip doesn't matter as much because they'll all add up a lot quicker.
I do understand where you're coming from, as well. Like I said, I love to tip generously, but when it's demanded of me, it changes the relationship between the server and the customer, placing undue pressure on both by the employer.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote