View Single Post
Old November 4 2012, 06:44 PM   #40
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Section 31 after DS9

Supreme Dittodrone wrote: View Post
Oh? You assume that not even the blackest of the black would stoop that low.

As Yoda would say, "Do not assume anything, Obi-Wan. Clear...your mind must be."
Perhaps in the 'real world', that might be true. But this is the Federation. They're better than that.

After all--see "In The Pale Moonlight". Effectively, bringing Romulans into the War meant putting countless Romulan lives--military and civilian--all in danger of being slaughtered by the Dominion.

And all of that...based on a lie.
To be fair, everything that happened in that episode was a result of Sisko's own personal choices. It was his idea to bring the Romulans into the war in that way. The Federation at large would not have done that. I'm not sure that even Section 31 would have.

Sloan said "we're autonomous". The Federation Starfleet Charter said they were autonomous.
but as I said, the only authorization for Section 31 that we know of comes from the Earth Starfleet Charter, not the Federation Starfleet Charter.

"Accountable to no one but yourselves?" Sloan simply replies, "You make it sound so ominous"--implying, perhaps, "I wouldn't put it that way...."
Sloan never actually denies it, though.

Here's a thought: We know from "Extreme Measures" that Section 31 had an operative inside Jaresh-Inyo's cabinet. Logically speaking, an organization that is accountable to a President will not have an undercover operative inside that President's cabinet. You don't spy on a President you're loyal to.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote