Old November 4 2012, 06:44 PM   #62
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Re: Why do the Klingons have equal technology to the Federation

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
The warriors
Except they were shown to wield virtually ALL political power in the empire
Wrong, the Klingon aristocracy were shown to be running the show when it came to who was in power, not the warriors. The Klingon council was composed of two dozen of the most powerful families, the great houses.

Not the warriors.

Martok's climb to power by way of being a great warrior was very unusual.

The way I see it, the head of a great house was automatically the leader of that house's military forces, but they didn't come to be a member of the aristocracy simply by being a warrior. That comes through family linage.

societal pocket
a quarantined 'societal pocket'.
I certainly never intended any isolation or 'quarantine.' I was thinking something like the US Marine Corp, who are encouraged to adopt (and be adopted by) a culture separate from the surrounding society.

Stupid people don't accomplish what the Klingon are shown to have accomplished.
Except the klingons WERE shown to be stupid (the gang of bikers 'macho' flavor). And not even close to 'efficient'.
First, my culture venerates 'macho' as a admirable quality (it's only bad if you don't have it I guess).

Second, there nothing stupid about being a member of a Motorcycle Club.

Third, to be honest there were a few (very few) stupid Klingons in the mix. However, the average Klingon was shown the possess perfectly normal intelligence and judgement. The Klingon we had the most exposure to, Worf, was often shown to be the one in the room who correctly and quickly appraises a situation, while people like Picard completely misunderstood the situation.

A 'stable' society declines
No, a stable society remain at a constant level. A declining society is one that loses ground, like your example of the Chinese over time.

The Chinese were not a 'stable' society.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote