View Single Post
Old November 4 2012, 01:59 PM   #179
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

JD wrote: View Post
I don't really see how bringing back popular characters suddenly makes the books less mature?
Because it's only pretending to deal with death, there not actually doing it. I don't like that.

It also shrinks the universe instead of expanding it by only using the same group of characters. If they had done this with the TV series there would only be the TOS characters, there would be no TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT.

I would rather them introduce new characters instead of just milking the same ones over and over again.

And it can't be too hard to introduce new characters seeing as they've had long running series using mostly novel only character casts.

They still seem to be dealing with some pretty heavy topics, and tackling some pretty complex ideas. Not to mention that they're putting in a lot more sex & violence then we ever got on the shows.
Which becomes all meaningless if I have to worry about it all being reset at the whim of the authors.

I don't think that bringing these characters back would be considered a "reset button".
if they go from a state of death to a state of living I call that a reset.

I'll be honest, I haven't read them yet, but I have been reading the spoiler threads for a whole and I have a pretty good idea of how things went down. From everything I've heard it does sound like even though the characters are back, the storylines and character development that took place while they are gone was not erased. It seems to me that the characters' returns were not simply developments in continuing stories, and that they did not in fact erase the death, they came back. From I've heard it sounds like both characters have been changed by what the experienced. IMO as long as the deaths still happened it's not a reset button.
You mean like with Spock where they eventually started only giving a reference to his death but thats it, with for all intents and purposes it was like he never left?
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote