View Single Post
Old November 4 2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Re: Did we know about the Borg sooner?

Pawleygirl wrote: View Post
You know, I was watching Voyager Flashback and something occurred to me. In Generations, the Enterprise B took in refugee El-Aurians from their home-world after they were attacked by THE BORG. So wouldn't we know about the Borg much earlier than it says that we do in Q who??? Am I missing something or am I wrong about that? Help me...please. ♥
In VOY - Scorpion, Captain Janeway accessed the classified Starfleet Borg Database. Note the stardate of the database entry (9521.6):

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_database

In ST6 - The Undiscovered Country, set in 2293, Captain Sulu is giving his log entry aboard the Excelsior right before it is hit by the energy wave from Praxis. Note the stardate again (9521.6):

Stardate 9521.6. Captain's Log, U.S.S. Excelsior. Hikaru Sulu commanding. After three years, I've concluded my first assignment as master of this vessel, cataloging gaseous planetary anomalies in Beta Quadrant. We are heading home under full impulse power. I am pleased to report that ship and crew have functioned well.

Sound Clip
Now, they do play fast and loose with the stardates and graphics on the various series and movies sometimes, so you might choose not to take this as evidence of anything.

But if you are inclined to take it as evidence, you could easily conclude that Starfleet had interviewed inbound El Aurian refugees fleeing the Borg assault on their homeworld in 2293 --either an earlier group from the ones we see in Generations (set months later in 2293) or Guinan's group itself prior to or during their journey to Earth-- and started compiling an official database from that.

The Hansen family certainly had some fragmentary information about the Borg before the official first encounter, such as their cube-shaped vessels (which couldn't have come from the NX-01 encounter), and other information that possibly came from the El Aurians and/or eyewitnesses to other Borg incidents.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote