View Single Post
Old November 4 2012, 06:08 AM   #176
JD
Admiral

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think part of the problem is that as the books continue to move forward they're going to become unrecogizable to casual readers. Data allows them to have a long-term connection to the original TNG TV series. I believe, long-term (unless they reboot the books at some point) Data will be back in Starfleet and in command of the Enterprise.

Lets face it, the authors have really struggled to create characters for TNG that have had any kind of staying power post-Nemesis.
I can imagine it's got to be quite a struggle for the people behind the scenes to decide to if you want to bring back the popular characters, who might be able to draw in more readers, or keep things more realistic and create new characters and hope that the readers like them. Personally, I can see the appeal of bringing back the popular characters, especially from a marketing standpoint.

EDIT:
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
^ The quote's a little messed up. You've got me quoting Hartzilla's response to me.
Fixed. Sorry about that.
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

WRONG! I am very much annoyed by Treklit's lack of the necessary back bone to make major changes and stick with them. I feels like a bait and switch where I think Star Trek is actually changing with the times and staying relevant but in reality they just go back to the same stuff that helped to kill it in the first place.

I also don't like that with Janeway I character I actually liked (Eden) was tossed out for a character I don't care that much about (Janeway). I mean its worse in that its just another way Janeway get out of the consequences of her actions.

And with Data, I don't like his character arc being arbitraily reset for whatever reason, Just like how i don't like Indistinguishabe From Magic being reset into oblivion for the same reason.
Well, Data was killed in a movie, and Janeway was killed by a different author under different editors, so the people making the changes aren't the same people who made the original decisions.
As for the whole idea of resurrection overall I've had a bit of a change of heart over the last few days. I admit I never used to like it, but as I've thought about it the past few days, and looked at how it's been done over the years I've started to have less of a problem with it. IMO as long as it's done well, and in a way that works with the laws of the universe I really don't mind. I know it's unrealistic, but sometimes with stuff like this it can be nice to escape from realty.
Where as I used to be okay with it, until Spock was treated as the rule and not the exception.

I also don't like the seemingly current obsession with the reset button.

Before this it seemed that Star Trek was moving in a more mature direction, now it seems to be going back to the same childish stuff that probably helped kill it on TV. I mean at this point I'm expecting Picard to go back to giving holier than thou speeches about how perfect humanity is and how everyone should be like them.

And I can't help but start to feel that I'm paying about $7 for well written fan-fiction with all the fix ficing that seems to be going on.
I don't really see how bringing back popular characters suddenly makes the books less mature? They still seem to be dealing with some pretty heavy topics, and tackling some pretty complex ideas. Not to mention that they're putting in a lot more sex & violence then we ever got on the shows.
I don't think that bringing these characters back would be considered a "reset button". I'll be honest, I haven't read them yet, but I have been reading the spoiler threads for a whole and I have a pretty good idea of how things went down. From everything I've heard it does sound like even though the characters are back, the storylines and character development that took place while they are gone was not erased. It seems to me that the characters' returns were not simply developments in continuing stories, and that they did not in fact erase the death, they came back. From I've heard it sounds like both characters have been changed by what the experienced. IMO as long as the deaths still happened it's not a reset button.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)

Last edited by JD; November 4 2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added additional thoughts
JD is offline   Reply With Quote