View Single Post
Old November 4 2012, 02:13 AM   #1312
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

JD wrote: View Post
Finished up Pakleds: Work is Hard by Greg Cox in ST: Seven Deadly Sins. I'll admit I wasn't quite sure what to think when I first saw a Pakled story in the collection, but Greg Cox did a really good job with them. I thought we got some pretty good world building for them, and the story itself was pretty good. It was nice to get a TV series era TNG story. My rating: 8/10.
Went back to the Urban Fantasy anthology Dark and Stormy Knights.
Thanks. I confess I was a bit daunted when Margaret Clark called me up and said she wanted 20,000 words about the Pakleds.

"The Pakleds, really?"

Now it can be told: that story was actually based on a rejected pitch for a Voyager TV episode. Needless to say, the original pitch focussed on B'Elanna, not Geordi, and involved some random Delta Quadrant race, not the Pakleds, but when I was desperately searching for an idea for the "Sloth" story, I went through my (copious) file of rejected Voyager pitches and found a plot that could reasonably be converted into a Pakled story . . . .

Beyond that, the whole thing is basically a retelling of the sinking of the Titanic, with the Enterprise cast as the Carpathia, racing to the rescue of a foundering ship.

Of course, in this version, the Carpathia gets there in time!