View Single Post
Old November 3 2012, 10:40 PM   #47
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
When I order a pizza, the driver gets $3 if it's a small order, $5 if it's a larger order, $7 if it's a large order and it's raining, and $20 if it's any time during the week leading up to Christmas.
There are people who say that if you don't have the money to tip, you don't have the money to eat out. Fine. I say if you don't have the ability to offer a reasonable level of service, you don't get a tip.
Both of those sentences at the end are fine by me.

It's odd though that you tip variably for drivers based on order size (who usually make minimum wage), but have a "flat rate whether $60 or $6" rule for restaurants.

Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
So I paid for dinner (it was on me that night), and I walked back and put the $5 on the table. As I was walking away, I heard her say "Five dollars? What a cheap ass!"
Eh, I'd have probably had the same reaction as her to be honest, just not on the floor.

Ghostavo Fring wrote: View Post
Put me down in the "if you can't afford to tip properly, don't eat out" column.

Giving less than 10% if the service is adequate is simply unacceptable. My base tip starts in the 15-20% range (I tend to round up to the next dollar anyway.) It can go up if you are just crazy awesome, or down if you are terrible.

I have never just not tipped because I couldn't afford it. I have left meager tips or not tipped at all when I got bad service. I usually complain to the manager when that happens, too. Fortunately, it is not all that often.

As for the example in the OP... that's just unreal. I sure hope it is the exception. If someone can spend over $100 a meal, they can damn well tip for it properly. "Single mom," my ass.

Last edited by Kestrel; November 3 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote