View Single Post
Old November 3 2012, 04:19 AM   #27
Grey
Lieutenant Commander

Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Ok...I'm one of those people who struggles to afford eating out, much less the tip. But 138 dollars? Being poor means figuring how to eat out on a budget. Spending that much (this was at a restaurant right? Not a grocery store?) on dinner officially cancels your use of the "too poor to tip" clause.

Kreacher wrote: View Post
I had an annoying experience at a new restaurant near me. I'm used to some places including a 15 or so percent service charge for parties of six of more, but this one included it for everyone.
I actually wish all restaurants were like that. This thread is a perfect example. You've got people, genuinely decent people, who tip a certain amount and offend their servers, and then you've got servers, genuinely decent servers, who manage to offend their customers who have to tip them something. No one is ever happy. I'd rather have a system where all the guesswork is taken out of it. No percentages. No which friend is tipping tonight and which friend is the cheapass? No who's food do I spit in tonight?

I know it's not perfect but I hate guessing in ambiguous situations where everyone has a strong opinion. And it sucks that people who are forced to rely on tips for income aren't even guaranteed that income, because technically no one is forced to leave a tip. They're only getting paid by a high-pressure honor system.

Cat Caddy - a comic blog
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote