View Single Post
Old November 3 2012, 02:42 AM   #23
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
I don't believe in the idea of "if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out", and I say that as someone who has been a server, and a busboy. I don't like the idea of "if you can't give me a tip, then you shouldn't be here".
THANK YOU. I will never understand this attitude. When I was going to school (and working 3 part time jobs to get by), there were times that the only reward I could give myself was a meal that I didn't have the time (or the energy) to cook myself. I sometimes only had enough to pay for the meal, and there is no way anyone can convince me that that I shouldn't have been in a restaurant because I "couldn't afford it".

Now that I have graduated and have a reliable income I always tip good service, but I don't feel it is fair to make a sweeping statement like the one in the OP.
Glad to hear you're doing well!

Anyway, yes, it bothers me because it shifts focus from the customer to the server. It goes from "How can I serve you today?" to "How much can you do for me?" It makes it seem like the restaurant is to cater to the server, and not the customer, and that's ridiculous.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote