View Single Post
Old November 3 2012, 01:26 AM   #3
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Since we in the U.S. live in a society where tipping is customary and wages are based on the assumption that servers get tips... yes, absolutely, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. Single Mom was way out of line.

I had an annoying experience at a new restaurant near me. I'm used to some places including a 15 or so percent service charge for parties of six of more, but this one included it for everyone. Also, if you ask for separate checks, they make you pay before the meal. What?! When I complained to the manager, the owner came out and gave me this long song and dance about how some servers don't report their tips, and some customers run out without paying and on and on. He was so arrogant and patronizing! If he thinks so little of his staff and his customers, maybe he should get out of the restaurant business.

Oh yeah, he also babbled about service being included in Europe -- even mentioned the names of a few countries, I guess to make sure I knew where Europe is. Right, but we weren't in Europe.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote