View Single Post
Old November 2 2012, 11:51 PM   #54
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Impact on Star Trek as Disney reboot Star Wars.

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
No, no and thrice no Sir!

The SW news wasn't a 'little press', it was huge. I work in a situation room, we have media feeds in from all over the planet and this was major news, the deal, the story, the speculation.

SW has a place in the publics consciousness, as a movie and entertainment, that Trek can't touch. I'm not talking numbers, I am talking legacy and folklore. Ask most people of a certain vintage for a stand out cinema moment and the opening scene of ANH is right up there. A cloud with 3 Klingon cruisers probably isn't.
True, but that's always been the case. SW has been more popular than TREK for over forty years now. So why is immediate action required now? And does anybody really think releasing a trailer or some publicity photos from INTO DARKNESS is suddenly going to vault Trek ahead of Wars in popularity?

I mean, it's not like they were neck-and-neck and the Disney news suddenly allowed SW to pull out into the lead. Or that millions of people who were inclined to see the new Trek movie suddenly changed their minds because, hey, there's a new SW movie coming out two years later . . ..

"Hey, Debbie. The new Trek movie just opened.Wanna go?"

"Nah, I got all excited about Star Wars back in October, so I think I'm going to hold out and wait for 2015 . . . ."