View Single Post
Old November 2 2012, 09:45 PM   #444
inflatabledalek
Captain

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

Probably the first real weak one, which considering we're near the end isn't to bad.

But because nothing much happened (though once again Cat stole the show) I wound up wondering about continuity. Which you should never do with Red Dwarf. Today I also happened to watch Better Than Life, the first episode with a mail pod reaching the ship. Which had me wondering at what point Earth stopped sending mail to this lost ship, and how one that reached the ship at least a decade after the first could have mail for Lister that must have been sent less than nine months before the accident...

And if there is still a Jupiter Mining Corporation out there that cares enough to pester Rimmer about his rank, surely they'd want their ship back? It's not as if they do any mining or anything like that. It's really strange to have Lister moaning about the loneliness of being out in space with no other humans and in complete isolation whilst Rimmer is having to deal with the bureaucracy of their original bosses.

As for the season to date as a whole... It's been fine. But I don't think there's been a single successful moment that wasn't very like something an earlier episode did better. As I said back with the first episode, it is Last of the Summer Wine for people who grew up in the '90's. Nice, safe and repetitive doing exactly what people expect it to do. Which is fine in and of itself, but not what the show used to be. Dave could quite happily have repeated old episodes in these slots and it would have been hard to tell the difference.
inflatabledalek is offline   Reply With Quote