View Single Post
Old November 2 2012, 09:01 PM   #183
Lord Garth
Captain

Re: 15 Reasons JJ "Ruined & Destroyed" Star Trek

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!! wrote: View Post
Shock of shocks, there is a Trek fan out there (just one!) who had the balls to not only dislike JJ Abrams 2009 film Star Trek, but also took it upon himself to outline in nauseating detail (and poor spelling and grammar by the way) his fifteen (fifteen!) reasons why.

Frankly, I'm surprised that no one in the past three years has brought any of these issues up. Food for thought, to be sure.

Your thoughts?
Some good points in there. Some of it I agree with and some of it I disagree with.

The big hands and brewery in engineering were minor. The bigger problems were Spock's abandoning Kirk and Kirk leap-frogging to Captain. Spock shouldn't be so emotional or should at least be in denial and more embarrassed about it. Hard to claim you have no emotion after you're passionately kissing Uhura and not going through Pon-Farr. Nero was two-dimensional.

I don't have a problem with Chekov being a talented genius because that's the only way he could be there at 17 if he had to be. Red Matter makes as much sense as Genesis, to be fair. Kirk's birth was a good scene.

I'm completely indifferent about the rest of his points.

I like the film but not enough to defend it at every turn. It's okay, I enjoyed it, but there isn't too much replay value for me. After 2009, I've only rewatched it once and I don't feel a burning urge to revisit it again anytime soon.

Though it's not ST XI, I think not even revealing who the villain is for STID even at this late point is a bit much. We knew a lot further in advance that Bane was going to be the villain for TDKR. It wouldn't hurt anything to say if it's Khan, Gary Mitchell, or someone else. How would that impact the film making a few hundred million dollars? It doesn't. And it's not the same thing as leaking a full synopsis, a beat-by-beat treatment, or a copy of the script.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote