View Single Post
Old November 2 2012, 06:34 PM   #1593
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
In hindsight, it also helps make the Jack Pack more convincing. While they were wrong on the "having to surrender" front, the fact that their predictions regarding the war are generally accurate helps, on second viewing, convince me that they must have been genuinely good at what they do. So I'm more able to buy the idea that Bashir accepts their recommendation, now that I know they're generally on the right track.
And to add to that, future events also reinforce the message of this episode which is that individuals can affect the future. The Romulans did enter the war as was predicted, but they did so sooner than expected because of the actions of Sisko and Garak, thus striking before too much damage was done to Starfleet. The Cardassians did rebel, but they didn't predict that the instigator that rebellion would be the leader of Cardassia who would have important strategic knowledge and connections.

The Magnificent Ferengi (****)

This is my favourite Ferengi comedy episode, which isn't all that difficult an accomplishment if I'm being honest, but it's still a pretty damn good episode. My usual complaint about Ferengi comedies is that they rely too much on the same tired old jokes about greed and mysogyny, and why The Magnificent Ferengi works for me is that it doesn't rely on those jokes too much. This episode is about a group of Ferengi that are genuinely trying to do something heroic, the jokes are more about how they're not good at a new thing rather than how they obsess over their usual stuff.

The story is kinda dumb, but that's forgiveable in a comic episode like this. Why the Ferengi would kidnap Ishka is a question that can never truly be answered to anyone's satisfaction in-universe, so we just have to go with the real-world answer which is that Wallace Shawn wasn't available. Honestly, I think that works a little better, I have my gripes about Ishka but I'd rather see her bashing Nog over the head than Zek. Iggy Vorta is also a terrible negotiator and conceded way too much to Quark, thus allowing the Ferengi to out-smart him, but I suppose it's possible that he underestimated what Ferengi are capable of. And I've got to give Iggy props for wearing a shirt, that fact alone is worth a star.

One other issue is that a large part of Quark's motivation in this episode is his desire to be a hero, but he already got to be a hero in Sacrifice of Angels, and those heroics were actually mentioned i this episode, so I don't know why he feels a need to prove himself when he already has. Rom too, he risked his life twice during the occupation and was nearly executed for it. But those are minor issues, and you're not supposed to take this episode too seriously.