Thread: Classic Who
View Single Post
Old November 2 2012, 09:01 AM   #16
zarkon
Captain

Re: Classic Who

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
That's a decent list, although, you seem to be one of the few here with anything nice to say about "The Mutants."
Bad acting, but it had a great plot which the acting didn't manage to quash.

I'm also not crazy about "The Face of Evil."
Oops. I put that in before I decided to jettison crap episodes where important things happen(I notice I forgot to delete "The Hand of Fear" as well for the same reason, but that ones slightly more debatable)

"The Dalek Invasion of Earth." In many ways, the definitive Dalek story.
Nah, I hate that serial. Long & boring. "The Daleks" was far better for the era.

"The Ark in Space." A perfect, archetypal Tom Baker space station adventure.
Oops, thought I had that on the list.

"Planet of Evil" is also a very solid entry in this category.
Only thing that really stood out for me about PoE was how good the set design was.

"The Pirate Planet" is the only complete story officially credited to the late, great Douglas Adams, and is worthwhile for that alone. I love the Pirate Captain and I wish they'd brought him back for more episodes.
Yeah, it was imaginative(loved the inertia corridor), but I don't think it ended up working that brilliantly as a complete story.

And if you want a sampling of just how weird things could get during the William Hartnell years, I recommend "The Chase," which features badly acted historical reenactments, badly dressed fish people, the Mary Celeste, the Empire State Building, a haunted house, a robot duplicate of the Doctor that looks nothing like him, and (if you get the unedited version) a special appearance by the Beatles! And then there's "The Web Planet" if you're into giant bugs, tie burnings, and Barbara & Vicki's debate over the relative merits of asprin.
I think the chase was (unintentionally) hilarious, but suggesting someone watches the web planet must surely be akin to torture.

In which case, I assume you'll be avoiding "Mawdryn Undead," "Terminus," & "Planet of Fire" like the Terullian Plague.
Heh.