View Single Post
Old November 2 2012, 02:37 AM   #94
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

Judge Death wrote: View Post
I'm afraid John Barry died a few years ago

Shame, I loved his work, especially the sweeping music he composed for a lot of the Bond space scenes.
News to me, but still sad.

Kegg wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
I don't know enough of Rachel Portman and Clive Mansell but they might be good choices?
I love Clint Mansell, but his scores are generally pretty minimalistic. He did nicely evocative stuff for Moon, and something only marginally more thunderous for the space opera vidoegame franchise Mass Effect.

I don't see this fitting Star Wars in the way Shore or Giacchino could, but then again maybe the new trilogy is going to move away from the romantic bombast for all I know.
Clint, yes, Clint. Thanks for the correction. But, is it really bombast if the music is actually good? I walked out of the theater in 1978 thinking that big music that actually delivers on the volume is something wonderful.

It doesn't seem to me that Shore is always very good at fitting the music to the scene, despite his superior skill at themes and orchestration. Giacchino can do big and romantic but my sense is always that he feels less comfortable with brass, preferring strings.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
I don't know enough of Rachel Portman and Clive Mansell but they might be good choices?
Rachel Portman is good at lush and romantic. I've never thought of her scores as bombastic, but she is heavy on recurring themes.

I was thinking Joel McNeely (Shadows of the Empire and lots of Disney work), Ron Jones (the good Star Trek: The Next Generation scores and a lot of video game work), or John Debney.
Jones I'm not at all familiar with (yes, this is a Trek bbs but I could never get past the feeling that a robot wanting to die was broken, not interesting, and worse, unbelievable.)
McNeely I've not heard either. Debney I can't recall enough to decide. But the more I think about Portman, the more appealing she is. She's not brassy but her stuff is very lush indeed.