View Single Post
Old November 2 2012, 01:02 AM   #134
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Great book, typical high-quality writing from Mr. Mack.

Part 2 was remarkably well-written and entirely engaging. In part 3, the stylistic use of intercuts, such as "Three Minutes Ago", were a welcome storytelling technique and added a bit fun to what could have been some very grim scenes. It reminded me of a Moffet-penned Doctor Who episode.

The "story developments" of the novel were tactfully handled and I imagine them stirring very strong reactions in the reading audience (if the posters on this thread are any indication) but I will say that actual readers of the book will feel much more positive about the story's conclusion than those who seem to be basing their opinions on heresay. Going into this book, I was very ambivalent about what I suspected was going to occur with a certain erstwhile crew member, but the strength of Mr. Mack's story won me over. I'm now excited to read the next volume and see where the narrative goes from here.

On a side note, I wonder when we'll be hearing from the mysterious figure that popped in and out of Part 2: in the second volume of this trilogy or the third? I don't think the summoning device he left was destroyed in the destruction of the privately-owned moon, so I'll assume it's still in play somewhere -- possibly hidden inside that cool Archeus ship and just waiting to be activated.

I, for one, can't wait to read what happens next.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote