View Single Post
Old November 1 2012, 11:00 PM   #88
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

Mach5 wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
I'm thinking Brian Tyler, or Danny Elfman if he's explicitly instructed to avoid Burtonism. But maybe Dave Arnold?
I say Micheal Giacchino. He's got that sorta vintage style, and his work on Super 8 was somewhat reminiscent of Williams'.

My #2 choice would be Jeremy Soule, the composer of the first KOTOR OST. Fans of the game love him, I think. And he really is good.
Kegg wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
It doesn't matter nearly as much who the director is because the director doesn't have to be the studio's point man for all artistic decisions.
Also, the really really important question is, who does the score? John Williams is a great composer but the series is getting older. Age has made him less reliably great, I fear, as well. I'm thinking Brian Tyler, or Danny Elfman if he's explicitly instructed to avoid Burtonism. But maybe Dave Arnold?
You'd want someone who can write pretty solid neo-romantic classical music with leitmotifs by the bucketload. So my first thought is obviously Howard Shore.
Both Giacchino and Shore are possibles, as is James Horner, John Barry and Bruce Broughton (assuming the latter two are still in good health.)

Not that Williams is still out of the question, of course.

But there is romantic and there is reminiscent of Williams and the two aren't quite the same.

I don't know enough of Rachel Portman and Clive Mansell but they might be good choices?