View Single Post
Old November 1 2012, 05:43 AM   #1139
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

296. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A man who's wife just left him sets out on a road trip with a young lady just weeks before the world is about to be hit by an asteroid. Stars Steve Carrell and Keira Knightley. This isn't a spoofy comedy like I thought it would be. It's a slightly serious, but lighthearted look at our characters as the world is about to end. The personal dramas aren't fleshed out that well, but the characters and the impending doom provide for an engaging experience. I especially loved Knightley's flirty and sexual character. Also, the trailer had people still going to work despite the world ending, but when you watch the movie and give it a little thought, it makes more sense and doesn't seem all that absurd.

297. That's My Boy (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - Teen becomes a news sensation after getting his hot teacher pregnant. A couple of decades later, he tries to re-enter the grown kid's life because he needs money. Stars Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg. This is actually a pretty fun movie if you like a lot of pop culture references. Vanilla Ice and Todd Bridges are also there. They play themselves as washed up celebrities working at a fast food place. Kudos to them for being willing to poke fun at themselves. One of the parts I liked best though was seeing Susan Sarandon play the older version of the young hot teacher that got pregnant. She was made up very well to look like the the younger character who happened to be played by her daughter Eva Amurri. She even carried herself the same way her daughter's flirty character did. It was amazing.

298. The Illusionist (✩✩✩✩½) - DVD - A period piece set in Austria about an illusionist, lost love and an obsessed investigator. Stars Edward Norton, Jessica Biel, Rufus Sewell and Paul Giamatti. I found this to be an incredible piece of work with an interesting cast of characters, from Norton's character who makes you marvel and wonder at his illusions, to Giamatti's obsession with figuring him out, to Sewell's mad jealousy. You can kind of predict the ending, but that's outweighed by the impressive nature of everything else. Better than a David Copperfield show.

299. Fright Night (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A guy who may be a vampire moves innext door. Stars Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin and David Tennant. I liked this movie mainly because it tried something different… Being fun rather than being scary or as grewsome as possible. And I especially enjoyed Tennant as a Vegas goth performer. He was so anti-Who in appearance and demeanor that I didn't recognize him at first.

300. House of Wax (1953) (✩✩✩) - Live TV - The 2005 movie is a loose remake of this. Stars Vincent Price. I wanted to check this out after having seen the 2005 version. It had some mild similarities in that it has a character who makes wax figures, but the story, setting and era are nothing alike.

301. Dinner for Schmucks (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - A man trying to advance his career is invited to a special dinner by his boss. It's an event where the guest has to find an idiot and bring him along so that he can be made fun of by the other guests. Stars Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell. The movie wasn't well received, but I loved it. It was funny and had both heart and buffoonery. And by buffooonery, I mean honesty. A lot of the "stupid behavior" from a few of the characters were just people truly being themselves, eccentricities and all. I liked that. This is supposed to be a remake of a french movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

302. Safety Not Guaranteed (✩✩✩✩✩) - On Demand - Some reporters working for a small-time magazine are looking for an interesting story. Anything. Then they find an ad put out by a guy seeking a partner to travel through time with him. Our main characters then set out to find this guy to see what he's all about and to write their article. Stars Aubrey Plaza. I thought this was a phenomenal independent film. It's a character piece more than anything but it'll keep you watching. Please check it out if you get the chance.

Theatre: 18
DVD/Blu-ray: 113
Live TV: 119
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 43
Internet: 4

Last edited by Agent Richard07; November 1 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote